Recipe by moallen31
This is a recipe I came up with because I really wanted to see a chocolate shortbread cookie with cream cheese in the center and covered with caramel and nuts. It's not really difficult, but oh so worth it. If you want to dazzle people with a decadent looking and tasting cookie, then look no more.
For the Cookie
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup caramel candy (bits are best, but if you can't find them use 1 cup of the wrapped candies)
- 3⁄4 cup pecans (or any nut you prefer)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour and cocoa together into a medium bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and salt and continue beating until blended and smooth, about 1 minute more.
- Add the flour-cocoa mixture and mix on low speed until a soft dough forms, about 1 minute.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator until firm enough to roll into balls, 40 to 60 minutes.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Using your palms, roll heaping teaspoonfuls of the dough into 1-inch balls.
- Arrange them 2 inches apart on the lined sheets.
- With a lightly floured thumb or index fingertip, press straight down into the middle of each ball almost to the cookie sheet to make a deep well. (Or use the end of a thick-handled wooden spoon.).
- Bake one sheet at a time until the tops of the cookies look dry, 8 to 9 minutes.
- Gently redefine the indentations with the end of a wooden spoon.
- Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes and then let them cool completely on racks.
- While cooling, mix the cream cheese and confectioner's sugar together until fluffy with a whipped look.
- When cookies are completely cooled use a spoon to fill the indentation and spread out. Do not overfill.
- Bake for 5 more mintues in the oven to set it.
- Melt the caramel as directed on the package and use a spoon to put a dollop of caramel on top of the cookie.
- Quickly top with chopped nuts and let cool.
- Keep cool.