1/2 Photos of Turtle Cheesecake Thumbprint Cookies
1 hr 33 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is a recipe I came up with because I really wanted to see a chocolate shortbread cookie with cream cheese in the center and covered with caramel and nuts. It's not really difficult, but oh so worth it. If you want to dazzle people with a decadent looking and tasting cookie, then look no more.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Cookie
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup caramel candy (bits are best, but if you can't find them use 1 cup of the wrapped candies)
- 3/4 cup pecans (or any nut you prefer)
- 1Sift the flour and cocoa together into a medium bowl.
- 2Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- 3Add the vanilla and salt and continue beating until blended and smooth, about 1 minute more.
- 4Add the flour-cocoa mixture and mix on low speed until a soft dough forms, about 1 minute.
- 5Chill the dough in the refrigerator until firm enough to roll into balls, 40 to 60 minutes.
- 6Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
- 7Using your palms, roll heaping teaspoonfuls of the dough into 1-inch balls.
- 8Arrange them 2 inches apart on the lined sheets.
- 9With a lightly floured thumb or index fingertip, press straight down into the middle of each ball almost to the cookie sheet to make a deep well. (Or use the end of a thick-handled wooden spoon.).
- 10Bake one sheet at a time until the tops of the cookies look dry, 8 to 9 minutes.
- 11Gently redefine the indentations with the end of a wooden spoon.
- 12Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes and then let them cool completely on racks.
- 13While cooling, mix the cream cheese and confectioner's sugar together until fluffy with a whipped look.
- 14When cookies are completely cooled use a spoon to fill the indentation and spread out. Do not overfill.
- 15Bake for 5 more mintues in the oven to set it.
- 16Melt the caramel as directed on the package and use a spoon to put a dollop of caramel on top of the cookie.
- 17Quickly top with chopped nuts and let cool.
- 18Keep cool.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turtle Cheesecake Thumbprint Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (52 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.8
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 40.9 mg
- Sodium 78.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: