Recipe by Justmez2
If you like the "Turtle Candy" you'll love this cheesecake. I was able to attend a cooking show back in 1999 hosted by Chef John Folse and this is the recipe he demonstrated. If you like Louisiana cooking get his "Hot Beignets & Warm Boudoirs" cookbook. He traveled through all the B&B's in LA and out of hundreds some appear in his cookbook. There is also some marvelous history and pictures of plantation homes. My family loves this, very rich, but oh so good! I tweaked it a bit using chocolate graham crackers and lighter fare ingedients.
Top Review by MrsC
Made this for dessert on Easter Sunday. It was a big hit. I didn't use "lite" ingredients. It was worth every calorie. It was rich and decadent. Everything a holiday dessert should be. This is a dessert I will make again.
- 30 Oreo cookies or 30 chocolate graham crackers, can be used
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 (14 ounce) bag caramel candies
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- For the evaporated milk, cream cheese, and sour cream I've used the "lite" and it didn't change the taste, just lightened the pounds!
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 9-inch springform pan with vegetable spray.
- In food processor chop cookies or graham cracker to a fine crumb, pour in butter and turn out into springform pan pressing with fingertips to form crust.
- In microwave oven safe bowl combine caramels and evaporated milk cook on high at 2 minutes intervals stirring until smooth and creamy (caution will be very hot!).
- Allow caramel topping to cool and thicken for 10 minutes.
- Pour half of caramel mixture over cookie crust and garnish with 1/2 of the chopped pecans.
- In large mixing bowl combine softened cream cheese and sour cream until creamy.
- Add eggs and sugar and continue to blend until bater is smooth.
- Stir vanilla into cream cheese mixture then pour into springform pan.
- Bake cake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and allow cake to cool for approximately 30 minutes.
- Top cake with chocolate chips, remaining caramel and garnish with pecans.
- Hide cake in refrigerator overnight to set!