Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Pecans, caramel and chocolate all wrapped up in a decadent cheesecake batter, what could be better? Remember to use a "water-bath" while baking this cheesecake. The water-bath will keep the outer edges from cooking too fast!
- 2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 14 ounces individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter one 9 inch springform pan.
- Toast the pecans at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 6 minutes. Remove pecans and set aside. Leave oven at 350 degrees C (175 degrees C). In a small saucepan, melt the unsalted butter.
- Combine vanilla wafer crumbs with the melted butter then press into the bottom of the prepared springform pan. Place the pan onto a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove and allow to cool.
- In a double boiler, or a bowl set over barely simmering water, melt the caramels in the evaporated milk. Stir until smooth. Pour this over the cooled crust. Sprinkle the nuts over the top.
- In a bowl, combine the cheese, sugar, and vanilla and beat until smooth, scraping down the bowl several times. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat until smooth. Melt the chocolate chips in the double boiler and mix into the cheese mixture. Pour the batter over the caramel layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 minutes or until barely set.
- Turn off oven, open door and let slowly cool for about 1 hour.
- Chill over night in the refrigerator before serving.