Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe comes from Jackie's Cake Supplies in Shuteston, Louisiana. I took all of my cake decorating classes with Jackie who is a wonderful instructor and friend.
Step 1 Ingredients
- 453.59 g caramel (Individually wrapped if bulk caramel is not available in your area)
- 59.14 ml butter
- 118.29 ml condensed milk
Step 2 Ingredients
- 1 betty crocker German chocolate cake mix
- 177.44 ml melted butter
- 118.29 ml evaporated milk
- 236.59 ml coarsely broken pecans
- 453.59 g milk chocolate chips
- In heavy pot melt all ingredients in step one.
- When melted set aside.
- In large bowl combine dry cake mix with melted butter and evaporated milk and stir well by hand.
- Batter will be sticky.
- Press 1/2 of batter in well greased 9x13 baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour reserved caramel mixture evenly over baked cake.
- On top of caramel sprinkle evenly the pecans and chocolate chips.
- Press pecans and chips lightly into caramel.
- Drop remaining cake batter across top by small amounts and spread carefully with a spatula.
- Cake batter will not completely cover.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cool completely before attempting to cut into bars.
This has been a favorite family recipe for years and years. Decadent and delicious! Glad to see it posted here.
Oh Luby, these are delicious! Chocolate, caramel and pecans, what's not to love? They're very rich and will satisfy that sweet craving in an instant! Thanks for sharing this great recipe! :)
Loved this recipe. It really does remind you of the turtle candy and the best part is, it is made from a mix, but doesn't taste like it. I will be making this again.