Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
This recipe comes from Jackie's Cake Supplies in Shuteston, Louisiana. I took all of my cake decorating classes with Jackie who is a wonderful instructor and friend.
Step 1 Ingredients
- 1 lb caramel (Individually wrapped if bulk caramel is not available in your area)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup condensed milk
Step 2 Ingredients
- 1 betty crocker German chocolate cake mix
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup coarsely broken pecans
- 1 lb milk chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- In heavy pot melt all ingredients in step one.
- When melted set aside.
- In large bowl combine dry cake mix with melted butter and evaporated milk and stir well by hand.
- Batter will be sticky.
- Press 1/2 of batter in well greased 9x13 baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour reserved caramel mixture evenly over baked cake.
- On top of caramel sprinkle evenly the pecans and chocolate chips.
- Press pecans and chips lightly into caramel.
- Drop remaining cake batter across top by small amounts and spread carefully with a spatula.
- Cake batter will not completely cover.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cool completely before attempting to cut into bars.