Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 (14 ounce) packageindividually wrapped caramels
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease and flour 9-by-13-inch pan.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Pour half the batter into prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Melt caramels, milk and butter in the top of a double boiler over boiling water.
- Pour melted caramel mixture over cake, sprinkle with half of pecans and half of chocolate chips.
- Pour remaining cake batter over the top.
- Sprinkle remaining pecans and chocolate chips over the top of batter.
- Return to oven and finish baking 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve cool or warm, not hot.
This cake is easy and tastes wonderful. Very rich, a small piece is all you need!
Awesome cake! This is the traditional turtle cake -- Thank you so much for posting it Theresa! I will be making it again and again!