Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A friend gave me this recipe 25+ years ago and I've made since.
- 1 (18 ounce) box cake mix (butter recipe)
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup butter (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 14 ounces caramel candies
- 6 ounces peanut butter chips
- 1 cup pecans (optional)
- Mix cake as directed on package.
- Add in 1/2 cup eagle brand milk.
- Pour 1/2 of batter in a 13X9 pan and bake 10 minutes at 350*.
- Let cool 5 minutes.
- While cake is baking, melt caramels, butter and remainder of milk in double boiler.
- Pour over cool cake and sprinkle with chips and nuts.
- Pour remainder of batter over caramel, bake 25-30 minutes 350F degrees.
This makes a great cake. It's easier than making the cake miz from scratch, but it's still more special than just using a mix.
This was my first ever baking disaster- of course it had to be when I was baking for others. First of all, it took an hour longer than started to bake through, and then when it was done, it broke in half when I turned it out. It still tasted good though- I just can't serve it to anyone!