Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
I found this on the back of a cake mix box. I liked this recipe because it didn't require a German Chocolate Cake base. It's easy to prepare and seems like you spent a lot more prep time than you actually did. ;)
- 1 (18 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs (see cake mix box for exact quantity)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (see cake mix box for exact amount)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (see cake mix box for exact amount)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Pour half of the prepared cake mix into the pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, place unwrapped caramels in a saucepan.
- Add 1/2 cup evaporated milk.
- Heat on low, stirring until caramels have melted.
- Remove cake from oven and pour melted caramel mixture on top of the cake.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans and chocolate chips on top of caramel layer.
- Press down lightly.
- Pour remaining half of prepared cake mix on top of the filling layer.
- Bake an additional 30 minutes.
- After removing cake from the oven, let the cake cool slightly (approx. 5- 10 minutes).
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake.
- This is an important step- otherwise you'll have a tough time removing the pieces later!
- Store at room temperature.
- Note: Please see your cake mix box for exact amounts of vegetable oil, water and eggs.
This cake is great! I made it for my mom's birthday but my dad ended up eating the majority of it, he thought it was more like a brownie. I was a little concerned about the baking time being too long but it turned out perfect. I used my favorite frosting(Kittencal's Chocolate Buttercream Frosting/Icing). Thanks for sharing the excellent recipe!
This is the Turtle Cake recipe I have that my mom has made for years!! It is soooo good and sooo rich!! I like it with a chocolate/Devils food cake rather than German chocolate it makes it richer. We also frost it with a dark chocolate frosting.
I just made this for the second time. Thank you for the tip about cutting around the cake after removing it from the oven. Everyone loves this cake. Caramel and chocolate make this cake a wonderful combination. I find that it easy to put together. I melt a couple of snack size Snickers bars and add to the the chocolate cake and I drizzle a chocolate glaze on top of the cake. Excellent!!