Recipe by Chicagopm
I found this on the back of a cake mix box. I liked this recipe because it didn't require a German Chocolate Cake base. It's easy to prepare and seems like you spent a lot more prep time than you actually did. ;)
Top Review by puppylove
This cake is great! I made it for my mom's birthday but my dad ended up eating the majority of it, he thought it was more like a brownie. I was a little concerned about the baking time being too long but it turned out perfect. I used my favorite frosting(Kittencal's Chocolate Buttercream Frosting/Icing). Thanks for sharing the excellent recipe!
- 1 (18 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs (see cake mix box for exact quantity)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (see cake mix box for exact amount)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (see cake mix box for exact amount)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Pour half of the prepared cake mix into the pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, place unwrapped caramels in a saucepan.
- Add 1/2 cup evaporated milk.
- Heat on low, stirring until caramels have melted.
- Remove cake from oven and pour melted caramel mixture on top of the cake.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans and chocolate chips on top of caramel layer.
- Press down lightly.
- Pour remaining half of prepared cake mix on top of the filling layer.
- Bake an additional 30 minutes.
- After removing cake from the oven, let the cake cool slightly (approx. 5- 10 minutes).
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake.
- This is an important step- otherwise you'll have a tough time removing the pieces later!
- Store at room temperature.
- Note: Please see your cake mix box for exact amounts of vegetable oil, water and eggs.