The Portugarians's Note:
My mother used to make these on special occasions. It is a simple, but filling desert food. It is not overly sweet, and has a wonderfully cheesy flavor. The toasted bread crumb coating contrasts the delightfully creamy texture of the dumpling, while the cinnamon sugar perfectly complements the mild cheese. These are traditionally served with granulated sugar and thin sour cream, but we prefer them with cinnamon sugar!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Using a wooden spoon, press the farmers cheese through a medium sieve into a large bowl.
- 2Add the egg, the semolina, and the pinch of salt.
- 3Mix with wooden spoon until the dough reaches a uniformly stiff consistency.
- 4Refrigerate mixture for at least 30 minutes.
- 5Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- 6While the dough chills, prepare the toasted breadcrumbs.
- 7Melt butter in a nonstick or cast iron pan. Add the bread crumbs, stirring and tossing until a golden brown color is achieved. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- 8Reduce the water's heat to a simmer.
- 9Using wet hands to prevent the dough from sticking, form dumplings 2 inches in diameter, and drop them gently into the water. (Do not crowd the dumplings in the water. As the first ones float and are removed you can add new ones to replace them.)
- 10You may give a gentle stir to ensure the dumplings don't rest on the bottom of the pot.
- 11When the dumplings float to the surface they are done.
- 12Using a bamboo strainer or a slotted spoon, remove the cooked dumplings to the pan of bread crumbs.
- 13Roll the dumplings around until well coated.
- 14Serve immediately with cinnamon sugar (or plain granulated sugar) and sour cream (we usually thin it with milk so it flows a little better).
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turosgomboc - Hungarian Farmer's Cheese Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.7
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 477.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 13.6 g