Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a Hungarian recipe that uses DRY cottage cheese. My mother would make this frequently as I grew up. Tastes great when eaten at a-little-warmer than room temperature.
- 340.19 g wide egg noodles, cooked
- 3-4 slice bacon, diced
- 177.44 ml sour cream
- 340.19 g dry curd cottage cheese
- 7.39 ml salt (to taste)
- 2.46 ml pepper
- dill (to garnish, fresh or dried)
- Using a large pan, cook the diced bacon until crisp; remove bacon from pan and keep warm.
- On low heat, stir the sour cream into the bacon fat.
- To the pan, add the noodles, bacon, dry cottage cheese, salt and pepper. Combine gently.
- On low heat, gently fold the contents until heated through. Adjust seasonings.
- With lid on pan, let set for half hour before serving. They taste best if not too hot.
- Garnish with more sour cream and dill if desired.
This dish is very versatile. You can have it sweet or spicy, with fruits, veggies, bacon bits or cracklings.
Oh I miss this from my grandma :( She didn't use dill nor pepper, but as funny as it sounds we ate it with bacon and sugar! You put the sugar right when you serve it! Now if I could just get the BIG CHUNKS of bacon, how they sell it in Hungary, with the skin and everything! YUM