Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Traditional at the Christmas meal in Spain. The ingredients (in Spanish!) only ask for "I packet marzipan". UPDATE: I've included the marzipan recipe, the weights of which total 4 oz plus whatever an egg yolk weights in case you want to use pre-made marzipan. P.S. this recipe makes the hard Turon.
- 450 g blanched almonds, toasted (1 lb, 4 cups)
- 225 g sugar (8 oz, 1 cup)
- 125 ml clear honey (1/2 cup)
- 50 g ground almonds (2 oz, 1/2 cup)
- 40 g icing, sugar (confectioners, 1 1/2 oz, 1/3 cup)
- 15 g tbsps sugar (1/2 oz, 1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 dash almond essence (extract)
- To make the marzipan, sift the almonds, icing (confectioners') sugar and sugar into a bowl. Mix lightly together. Gradually beat in the egg yolk and almond essence (extract), using a knife or a spatula to stir them inches Lightly dust a working surface with icing (confectioners') sugar. Turn the marzipan mixture out on to the working surface and knead it, pressing down and away from you with the heel of your hand, for 5 minutes or until the mixture is very smooth. Set the marzipan aside.
- Combine the almonds, sugar and honey in a large saucepan and set the pan over very low heat. Cook the mixture until the sugar has dissolved, stirring constantly. Increase the heat to moderate and bring to the boil. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the marzipan. Beat the mixture until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a well-greased 15 cm (6 in) by 23 cm (9 in) baking pan, and set aside to cool slightly. Mark the mixture into 4 cm (1 1/2 in) squares and leave aside to cool completely.
- Remove the sweets (candies) from the pan and break them into squares. Either place the sweets (candies) on a serving plate, or wrap them in greaseproof or waxed paper and store until required.
this was nice ,i dont normally make candy but i had some mazipan in the freezer
this was easy at first and harder meshing in the marzapan its swee and rich , be careful of the almonds ,they want to burn. pammed EVERYTHING cause REALLY sticky