Prep 15 mins
Cook 14 mins
Deep-fried banana rolls. When picking out your bananas, please adjust the amount you buy to equal two large bananas for this recipe. The time it takes to make these really depends on how adept your are at rolling. I said 15 minutes prep. time, but this is with my kids "helping" me with the sugar and placing the bananas. (They can't roll yet thank goodness. Haha) After frying your turon I recommend draining them on a wire rack or or something. You can use paper towels, but if some of the brown sugar melted out they'll stick. I usually just stand them up on their sides in my metal colander until they've cooled off enough to eat. This recipe calls for using lumpia wrappers which are much thinner than eggroll wrappers, almost like paper. I find them at my local Asian market. Try eating your turon with some icecream! It's great.
- 8 lumpia skins
- 2 large bananas, ripe
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten (optional)
- jackfruit, slivered (optional)
- Peel and cut bananas to fit the wrappers. I use rather large bananas so I cut them both lengthwise and crosswise to make 4 pieces. Adjust this so that your banana "fits" so you can roll it like and eggroll.
- Spread a little brown sugar on the lumpia wrapper, add the banana. Alternatively, you can roll the banana in the sugar instead of sprinkling some on the wrapper. My kids find this easier. If you are using jackfruit add a little with the banana.
- Roll like you would an eggroll. Wet the end flap with a little water or beaten egg to seal.
- Deep fry at about 350 degrees until golden brown. It generally takes me 5-7 minutes per batch.