Recipe by jswinks
A creamy vegetable soup. Our family once had this soup in a restaurant along the Ohio Turnpike, so we call it Turnpike Soup. Through the years we've tried to duplicate it. You can vary the vegetables and amounts very easily. (Don't recommend using beets).
Top Review by French Tart
A delicious and comforting soup which was easy to make! I used some excess white sauce from a lasagne I was making - I was not sure how much to use, so put 1/2 pint in. I thoroughly enjoyed this, Malcom would have liked a bit more seasoning - but he always says that! Next time I make this lovely soup, I will add some pepper and maybe a touch of celery salt might be nice to enhance the vegetables too. Made and very much enjoyed having just finished a bulk baking/cooking in the kitchen, and having had a marathon supermarket shopping session in the morning! Made for Photo Tag! Thanks jswinks! FT:-)
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 6 potatoes, sliced
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- other vegetables (optional)
- white sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Put vegetables in pot and cover barely with water, add salt and cook until tender.
- Puree vegetables with their liquid in blender.
- Meanwhile, make white sauce (thin to medium depending on preference, can also use plain milk).
- Mix roughly equal parts vegetable and white sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.