Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My family loves this dish in the fall and winter when turnips are in season. The souffle is very easy to make, and makes a nice change from the usual potato dishes that are served in the colder seasons.
- 6 medium turnips (4 large)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheese
- 2 eggs, separated
- Peel the turnips and cut them into 1-inch chunks. Boil them in salted water until very tender.
- Drain and mash turmips.
- Add the butter/margarine, milk, cheese, well-beaten egg yolks, salt, pepper and paprika. Mix well.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff.
- Folk egg whites into the turnip mixture. DO NOT OVER-MIX!
- Pile the turnip mixture lightly inot a well-buttered casserole dish. Set the casserole dish inot a larger pan of warm water and bake in a 375 degree F. oven until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.