- 6 cups cubed turnips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook turnip until tender, drain and mash (by hand).
- Add butter and eggs and beat well.
- (This can be done the a day ahead).
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, seasoning and nutmeg.
- Stir into turnip mixture.
- Pour into a buttered casserole dish.
- Mix breadcrumbs and butter and sprinkle on top.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes or until light brown on top.