Prep 12 mins
Cook 50 mins
Farm Bureau recipe.
- 907.18 g turnip greens, fresh
- 946.0 ml water
- 4.92 ml salt
- 14.79 ml white vinegar
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml bacon drippings
- 4 slice bacon
- 59.14 ml onion, chopped
- Wash greens thoroughly, removing any grit and large stems.
- Place greens in dutch oven with water and salt.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Add vinegar, sugar, and bacon drippings.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook at least 1 hour covered.
- Fry bacon and crumble.
- Saute chopped onion until tender.
- Add bacon and onion and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with vinegar flavored with whole red pepper.
Being from a family from the South, I'm always looking for good Southern recipes. This recipe for turnip greens was the best I've found. Very easy to make and my wife loved it. The only thing I had to do was add more water while the greens were boiling (don't walk away from a boiling pot). I let them simmer several minutes longer just because my wife came home late for work. The greens were excellent and earned a place in the recipe box.
These are the best turnip greens I've ever had, and I'm from Mississippi.
Turnip Green Perfection! Just like Mom used to make. I made this exactly as posted, except I didn't weigh my huge bunch of greens.....just tasted them as I went along. Because I had more than the specified amount, I increased cooking time by an hour as well. I also took the liberty to go ahead and cook the turnip roots with the greens....Mine were just so fresh and beautiful...right off the farm and no wax added. Absolutely delightful. Thanks for sharing.