Recipe by Mrs. Hughes
Farm Bureau recipe.
Top Review by NTexas
Being from a family from the South, I'm always looking for good Southern recipes. This recipe for turnip greens was the best I've found. Very easy to make and my wife loved it. The only thing I had to do was add more water while the greens were boiling (don't walk away from a boiling pot). I let them simmer several minutes longer just because my wife came home late for work. The greens were excellent and earned a place in the recipe box.
- 2 lbs turnip greens, fresh
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash greens thoroughly, removing any grit and large stems.
- Place greens in dutch oven with water and salt.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Add vinegar, sugar, and bacon drippings.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook at least 1 hour covered.
- Fry bacon and crumble.
- Saute chopped onion until tender.
- Add bacon and onion and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with vinegar flavored with whole red pepper.