1/2 Photos of Turnip Green Soup
Don't be skeptical about the odd combination of ingredients, this hearty Southern soup is really quite tasty! Classic or jalapeno cornbread is a must with this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (27 ounce) can turnip greens (seasoned)
- 1 (16 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth (or more, as needed)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 (16 ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained or 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1/2-1 lb smoked sausage, diced (I like Conecuh brand, original)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons oil
- garlic salt
- creole seasoning
- salt and pepper
- Tabasco sauce
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1Chop, slice, dice, or drain everything first.
- 2To a large pot, add the first six ingredients over medium-low heat.
- 3In the meantime, saute the sausage and onion in the margarine until the sausage is lightly browned and onion is desired tenderness. Add it to the turnip pot on stove. Add desired seasonings, to taste.
- 4Simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, adding more chicken broth or tomato juice if needed for consistency.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turnip Green Soup
Serving Size: 1 (402 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.7
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 23.1 mg
- Sodium 1020.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.1 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 24.6 g