Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I have passed this off as potatoes to people who absolutely hated turnips. They actually liked it so much that they asked for seconds and wanted me to make it again. You can substitute half and half or evaporated milk for the heavy cream to cut down on fat.
- Boil turnip slices for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Rub a medium size casserole dish with clove of garlic, and then butter.
- Layer 1/3 of turnips into dish, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top with 1/3 of tarragon, parmesan, and swiss cheeses.
- Repeat layer steps twice.
- Pour cream over top.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top.
- Using leftover butter, place bits of butter over the top.
- Bake at 400 for about 45 minutes.
I don't know that I'd call it a good substitute for potato gratin. I had a mix of turnips and potatoes because that's what I had, and you could definitely tell which was which in the recipe. I liked the combo of cheeses, but it's not as cheesy as I'm used to. The tarragon is a nice touch.
We loved this!! I didn't have tarragon, or heavy cream; I used evaporated milk and did without the tarragon. Also used provolone cheese, didn't have any Swiss. I will make this again!!
Well, I certainly didn't trick anyone into thinking these were potatoes. I like turnips but not with the swiss cheese. I didn't think the flavors went very well together. I might make this again using a milder cheese (perhaps Provolone).