Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Can be prepared a day ahead. Reheat before serving. From Ricardo.
- 6 onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 turnips, peeled and diced
- 5 cups milk
- 4 slices French baguettes, grilled
- salt and pepper
- In a casserole, brown onions at low heat about 30 minutes or until well browned (caramelized). Remove one third of onions and set aside.
- Add turnips and milk in the casserole. Bring to boil at medium heat stirring frequently and scraping bottom of the casserole to not burn the milk. Cover and let simmer slowly (at low heat probably) about 20 minutes or until turnip is tender.
- In a blender, reduce the soup in a creamy puree. Strain if wanted. Adjust seasonings.
- Spread slices of bread with the caramelized onions you kept. Put on sides of soup bowl.
This recipe is delicious! I will be using it often. Thank you for sharing! Katie