From Elizabeth Andoh's classic "At Home With Japanese Cooking". This is a delicately seasoned, elegant little side dish to serve with more intensely flavored fish or meat courses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup dashi (basic Japanese soup stock)
- 1/4 teaspoon light colored soy sauce (usu kuchi shoyu)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sake
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon prepared wasabi (trefoil0 or coriander (cilantro) or 2 -3 sprigs mitsuba (trefoil0 or coriander (cilantro)
- 1Shell and devein shrimp, then cut each into 4-5 pieces. Divide the pieces among the bottoms of 4 small heatproof bowls (or use teacups, preferably without handles).
- 2Peel and grate the turnips onto a kitchen towel. Bring the corners of the towel together to form a small bag and twist the top closed, squeezing out about half the liquid. You should have approximately 1/2 Celsius grated turnip.
- 3In a bowl, beat the egg white with the pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Add the grated turnip, mixing in gently but thoroughly.
- 4Divide the turnip mixture among the 4 bowls, mounding it softly to cover the pieces of shrimp. Steam the bowls of turnip clouds for 10-12 minutes.
- 5In the meantime, season the dashi with the soy sauce, salt, and sake, and heat it through for several minutes. Dissolve the cornstarch in an equal amount of cold water and stir it into the seasoned stock. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sauce thickens slightly. Pour some of the sauce over each steamed turnip cloud. Garnish the top of each portion with either a small dab of wasabi (to be dissolved into the surrounding sauce by each diner), or chop sprigs of trefoil or coriander and scatter them over each cloud. Serve piping hot.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turnip Clouds (Kabura Mushi)
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 52.4
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 332.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: