This is a very yummy veggie salad, which my sis n me came up with when having to use up some turnip and carrots. It has a sweet, earthy taste with a hint of garlic and onion. For me its the perfect autumn salad! :) I hope youll enjoy it, too!
- Dice one half of the carrot and place in a pot together with diced turnip. Bring to a boil, add eggs and simmer for 15 minutes or until veggies are tender but still crisp.
- Meanwhile slice the other half of the carrot into long strips using a vegetable peeler. Place in a big bowl and add garlic, onion, scallion and apple.
- Combine yoghurt and spices in a separate bowl and season to taste.
- When ready lift out the eggs using a slotted spoon. Rinse them with cold water, peel and dice.
- Drain veggies. Add everything to the big bowl and stir to coat.
- Eat right away while still warm or let cool and serve later.
My mind was thinking cole slaw when in fact this is more<br/>like a pumped up egg salad. I used raw carrots and raw baby<br/>turnips. Fresh herb added was cilantro. Juice of half a lemon<br/>made the ingredients "pop".A little bit of red onion was<br/>thrown in, too. Garnish of fresh chives from the garden. Made for Veg Tag/June.
This is a yummy recipe that lends itself to variation quite nicely. I made it with japanese turnips and a gala apple. I wish I had used granny smith--that would have really taken the cake. I enjoyed it on a wrap with sliced yellow peppers and spicy greens, and DH put his on butter crackers. I think next time I might try leaving the turnips raw (assuming I have young tender turnips again) and might throw in some celery for more crunch. Also a hit of vinegar might be nice...see what I mean about a great recipe for variation?!? OH, and I chose to use dill for the herbs as I had made this with dilled cucumbers and it was just perfect. Thanks, Loula! Made for Veg Swap 35.
This is soo good!!! I was skeptical with the ingredients but made it as I had them all on hand with some large rutabaga that needed to be used up. I used 2 previously hard boiled eggs, sweet onion for the small onion, Mackintosh apple, Balkan (thick) yogurt, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper plus all the rest mentioned except dried sage. I would amazingly make this again the same way!