Recipe by MarieRynr
Slices of turnip, apple and onion are layered in a skillet, sprinkled with herbs, covered with cheese and baked to a golden finish. What's not to like, yum!!!
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter
- 1 lb turnip, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch slices,divided
- 1⁄2 lb baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch slices,divided
- 1⁄2 lb granny smith apple, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch sliced,divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in olive oil in a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium high heat 5 minutes.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 15 more minutes or until onion is tender, stirring often.
- Uncover and cook, stirring often, 5 to 10 minutes or until browned.
- Remove onion from skillet.
- Add butter to skillet.
- Layer half each of turnip, potato, and apple slices in skillet, overlapping slices' sprinkle with half each of onion, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and cheese.
- Repeat procedure with remaining ingredients.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400*F for 40 to 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.