Recipe by sugarpea
This dish is even better reheated the second day and that's saying something. THIS is comfort food. Use it as a side dish or even served cold as an appetizer. From Rozanne Gold, a favorite cookbook author.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs large turnips, of similar size
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 lb havarti with caraway or 1 lb plain 50% reduced-fat havarti cheese, in 1/16 inch slices
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the unpeeled turnips in salted water until tender, about 30 minutes; drain, cool, peel and cut into 1/4" thick crosswise slices; pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 375°; spread the butter on the bottom of a 9" springform pan; place 1/4 of the cheese in the pan; top with 1/3 of the turnip slices, slightly overlapping them; season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Lay down 2 more layers of cheese and seasoned turnips; end with the final 1/4 of cheese; place the pan on a baking sheet and bake 40 minutes or until cheese is golden brown; cool a bit before serving in wedges.