Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
An exotic grilled shrimp dish that is light but great on flavor.
- 24 jumbo shrimp, peeled but with tails intact
- 8 skewers (metal or wooden, if wooden soak first)
- 8 ounces fresh pineapple, cut into 16 chunks
- 16 scallions (white bulbous parts only)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely chopped
- fresh gingerroot (1-inch piece, peeled and grated)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place the marinade ingredients in a food processor and blend to a paste. Transfer the paste to a large bowl, add the shrimp and turn to coat evenly. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Thread the shrimp onto skewers, alternating with the pineapple chunks and scallions. Reserve the marinade for basting. Cook the shrimp skewers on a prepared grill for 8-10 minutes, turning and basting them while they cook. Serve at once.