Recipe by Citruholic
I made up this recipe from the only turmeric rice recipe I found on Zaar. It was made totally on the fly, and turned out delicious. I hope you feel the same. Rather than writing a review on the original recipe I thought it better to post a different one, since I had made several changes, instead of singling them out in my review of the first one. The mint adds just a hint of freshness to the rice, the mango a small sweetness along with the orange water, the toasted pine nuts add great crunch and texture, and the ginger/garlic marry well with all other flavors without being overpowering.
Top Review by Gtlr123
This is delicious! I had it with steamed sole & added a garnish of mint and also added some dried hot red peppers to the recipe for some heat. I am dairy-free, so used extra virgin olive oil in place of the butter! I will definitely be making this dish again. I like Barbry T's idea of dried apricots - will have to try that too!
- 1 cup rice (short or long grain, not Aborio)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 finely minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon freshly and finely minced gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup dried mango
- additional water, for cooking rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch of freshly cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts
- four finely minced mint leaf (lemon balm will work well also)
- olive oil (for drizzling)
Directions See How It's Made
- Take ½ cup diced dried mango in a small cup and add 1 tablespoon thawed frozen orange juice concentrate.
- Add enough very warm, but not hot, water to cover. Let sit to plump and infuse mango with orange juice.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over low-medium heat in 2 quart saucepan, but do not brown.
- Add garlic and ginger to butter and let combine until entire mixture is no longer raw and cooked to infuse the butter. Do not brown.
- Drain mango, take juice and pour into measuring cup and add water to equal 1 ¾ cup.
- Add liquid to saucepan and bring to a boil. Add rice, salt, cinnamon and pepper and turmeric.
- Cover and simmer about 15 minutes til rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, covered.
- Then add macerated mango, fluffing with a fork. Recover. Before serving, sprinkle with freshly minced mint and pine nuts. Refluff. Taste for seasoning (salt and pepper), and adjust to taste.
- Drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and serve. Enjoy.