Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
With just 5 ingredients, this is both easy and delicious for dessert or afternoon tea (who says it has to be healthy??). Looking to use up the egg yolks? Try Secret's "Crab Cakes from Joe's Crab Shack" Crab Cakes from Joe's Crab Shack.
- 8 ounces almonds, unpeeled
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, good quality
- 8 ounces dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- heavy cream, whipped, to serve (optional)
- grated chocolate, to serve (or melted) (optional)
- Line the base of a 9" (22cm) springform cake pan.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Roughly chop the almonds and chocolate, either by hand or in your food processor.
- Transfer almonds and chocolate to a large bowl, add the dates, and mix gently.
- With your electric mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff, then reduce the speed and gently and quickly beat in the superfine sugar.
- With a spatula, lightly fold the egg whites into the chopped nuts, chocolate and dates.
- Gently transfer the cake mixture to the prepared cake pan and flatten the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for approximately 40 minutes.
- Take care not to crisp the top too much, and test with a skewer to ensure the torte is baked through.
- Cool and turn out onto wire rack.
- Chill before serving.
- Just before serving, if desired, top with thick whipped cream.
- You can also swirl grated chocolate (or melted chocolate) through the cream.