Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The original recipe for Bonomo's turkish taffy is well guarded and not made anymore, but this is similar to the turkish taffy from the 60's.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup light Karo syrup
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 3⁄4-2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 3⁄4-2 teaspoons any other preferred flavoring
- food coloring (match the flavor)
- Combine sugar, Karo syrup, water and margarine in large pan.
- Bring to boil over medium heat until the sugar dissolves; stirring constantly.
- Continue boiling until mixture reaches firm ball stage at 244-250 degrees on candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in flavoring and food color if desired.
- Spread evenly onto waxed paper, cool and break into pieces (about candy bar size).
- When completely cooled, store in an air-tight container.
I did the recipe for the second time and only cooked until about 256 degrees and it came out perfect. So the 270 degree is for hard stage candy not for taffy. I used doTerra Essential oils for my flavoring. SSnay