Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an easy meal. The time consuming part is washing the spinach. It's a one meal deal. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 fresh diced tomatoes
- 1 freshly squeezed lemon
- 2 -3 crushed garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bunches fresh spinach (washed extremely well and chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Rinse and wash spinach very well to get all the silt off (I use all the spinach including the roots), it takes about 4-5 washes.
- In a large pot heat oil, add onions and saute until soft.
- Add all the ingredients in sequence and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low heat and cook until the rice is cooked.
- Eat as is or add a couple of tbsp of Garlic-Yogurt sauce and enjoy!
- Garlic-Yogurt Sauce: 1 cup of plain yogurt 2-4 minced garlic (depending on how much garlic you prefer) salt to taste Method: Combine all the ingredients and serve over your meal.
Nice, easy dish, but the spinach develops a rather "powdery" taste when its cooked so long. I'd like to try cooking the spinach separately, until it is just wilted, and topping it on the rice later.
This recipe is terrific! My mother in law use to cook it the same way. It make a good side dish to any meat or just eat it alone.
Next time, grate tomatoes. It will taste better:)