Lots of taste! from Cooking for Diabetics.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, raw (12oz)
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried mint or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 8 ounces cooked peeled shrimp, thawed if frozen
- 3 tablespoons currants
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salad greens, to serve with
- 1Heat the oil in a large nonstick fry pan.
- 2Fry the onion, peppers and garlic over low heat for 10 minutes until softened but not browned.
- 3Add the rice, spices and mint or basil.
- 4Stir over the heat for 2 to 3 minutes, then add enough water to cover the rice.
- 5Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, or until rice is just tender, but still has a little bite to it.
- 6Add the shrimp, currants and a little salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Cook for about 4 minutes more, until the shrimp are heated through, then add the lemon juice and chopped parsley.
- 8Serve pilaf warm or cold with salad greens.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkish Shrimp Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.0
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 79.6 mg
- Sodium 368.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 13.5 g