Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This "bright" and refreshing salad, from turkikshcookbook.com has all my favorite ingredients. We like to use Sesame Pita Crisps to scoop up the salad, although lavosh would work, too! Named after a mountain in southeast Anatolia. Sumac is available in Middle Eastern shops or online. It will make a huge difference if you use the freshest, best tomatoes and freshest parsley you can find.
- 1⁄4 red onions or 1⁄4 white onion, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2⁄3 cup parsley, finely chopped (NOT dried)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate syrup (also known as pomegranate molasses)
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted
- Crush the onion with the salt and sumac.
- Toss all the ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Arrange on a festive salad platter and garnish with the walnuts.
- Gavurdagi salad's flavor is enhanced if you put it aside for a few hours before you serve it.
I could live on stuff like this! I just wish I would have homegrown tomatoes right now. The flavors and colors are outstanding. One tsp of sumac may seem like a lot, but the pomegranate syrup balances it. The toasted (I very lightly toasted mine) walnuts for garnish were a great touch. In the end I actually mixed them right into the salad. I made this in the morning to have later for lunch. I used mini flatbreads to scoop up this yummy mixture. Next time I must remember to double this! Thank you, cg!
Finally got my hands on some pomegranate syrup and sumac, so this was the perfect recipe to try them out. I thought the syrup would make this more sweet than it did, I probably added more like 2 tsp to get a little more of that flavour. Great combo, I really love this style of salad. Paired it with a stuffed portabello mushroom for lunch, and served the rest at a BBQ dinner party. Look forward to making this again soon.
Very good Middle Eastern style salad. I used shallots for the onion, grape tomatoes chopped, flat leaf parsley, freshly squeezed lemon juice. I did not add the garnish and used way less cayenne pepper as to our preferences. I served it with Recipe #14739 which was a delicious meal. I will make this often!