Recipe by COOKGIRl
Made this up the other night. Turkish Rice-a-Roni! The Ankara city treat!!
Top Review by Annacia
This tastes far better than that box mix by the same name. I used chicken broth and served with lemon garlic chicken. I just love dried apricots with chicken and know that this was going to be a hit when I first read it. It couldn't be much easier and the wonderful fragrance from the pot fills the kitchen and makes you wish you could bottle it. Thanks so much Cookgirl. :D
- 3 tablespoons butter (NOT margarine)
- 1 cup long grain basmati rice
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked orzo pasta (or 1/2 cup uncooked spaghetti or spaghettini)
- 1⁄2 cup leeks, thinly sliced or 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, diced small
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped small
- 3 cups vegetable broth or 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter (NOT margarine)
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds or 2 tablespoons pistachios
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons dried apricots, cut up into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, minced
- salt, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: If using spaghetti, break up the strands into small 1/4" pieces using a rolling pin.
- Heat up 3 tablespoons of butter on medium heat until the butter smells nutty but NOT burnt.
- Sautè the rice with the orzo, leek (or onion), cinnamon stick and allspice until rice grains and pasta glisten and are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato and broth; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to simmer, cover and cook for 18-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter on low-medium heat and lightly toast the almonds.
- Stir in the raisins and dried apricots, stirring until dried fruit is very slightly plump. This will only take a minute.
- Set the almond/dried fruit mixture aside.
- Once the rice is done cooking, stir in the almond/dried fruit, parsley and mint.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove cinnamon stick before serving.