Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Made this up the other night. Turkish Rice-a-Roni! The Ankara city treat!!
Make and share this Turkish Rice-A-Roni recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons butter (NOT margarine)
- 1 cup long grain basmati rice
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked orzo pasta (or 1/2 cup uncooked spaghetti or spaghettini)
- 1⁄2 cup leeks, thinly sliced or 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, diced small
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped small
- 3 cups vegetable broth or 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter (NOT margarine)
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds or 2 tablespoons pistachios
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons dried apricots, cut up into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, minced
- salt, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper
- NOTE: If using spaghetti, break up the strands into small 1/4" pieces using a rolling pin.
- Heat up 3 tablespoons of butter on medium heat until the butter smells nutty but NOT burnt.
- Sautè the rice with the orzo, leek (or onion), cinnamon stick and allspice until rice grains and pasta glisten and are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato and broth; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to simmer, cover and cook for 18-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter on low-medium heat and lightly toast the almonds.
- Stir in the raisins and dried apricots, stirring until dried fruit is very slightly plump. This will only take a minute.
- Set the almond/dried fruit mixture aside.
- Once the rice is done cooking, stir in the almond/dried fruit, parsley and mint.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove cinnamon stick before serving.
This tastes far better than that box mix by the same name. I used chicken broth and served with lemon garlic chicken. I just love dried apricots with chicken and know that this was going to be a hit when I first read it. It couldn't be much easier and the wonderful fragrance from the pot fills the kitchen and makes you wish you could bottle it. Thanks so much Cookgirl. :D
Delicious rice!!! I loved the sweetness of the apricots in this. I made ours gluten free by using crushed up penne rice pasta. I used unsalted butter, cooking onion, canned & fresh tomato, homemade chicken stock, slivered almonds, washed yellow raisins, sea salt, and the rest! I served this with Greek Lemon Chicken Kabobs With Mint Marinade, Fresh Yogurt Sauce for Grilled Meat or Fish, no dill & a version of Spinach Salad With Feta Cheese for a very tasty meal. I would definitely make this again. Made for NA*ME Tag! Come play!!
I just needed a quick rice dish to go with my meal & randomly chose this. And glad I did!! It was better than my main! This had lots of flavour & we liked the mint. I also used homemade chicken stock, yellow onion, but I didn't have any nuts or dried fruit on hand. Didn't matter though - very good! THanks!