1/1 Photo of Turkish Red Lentil Soup (Kirmizi Mercimek Çorbasi)
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is true comfort food that tastes like a cross between Cream of Wheat and Lentil Soup. Try to get the red lentils because they cook quicker and lend a lovely orangy color to the finished soup (the lentils cook to a yellow, but the tomatoes make it orange). This soup is usually served before a meal with a dollop of yogurt or tzatiki sauce swirled in.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 -12 cups beef stock or 10 -12 cups water
- 3 cups red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- yogurt, for garnish
- 1In a large pot, bring to a boil 10 to 12 cups of water; add lentils, 2 teaspoons salt, cover and reduce heat, letting simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, heat another pot, over medium heat, and add onions, cover with olive oil, and 1 teaspoon salt; once it begins to sizzle, reduce heat to low and cover for about 5 minutes.
- 3To the second pot, add bulgur, pepper, cayenne, and cumin; stir until lightly browned.
- 4Add tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, and 4 cups chicken broth; bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- 5Pour the contents of the second pot into the large soup pot with the lentils; cover and simmer until the bulgur and the lentils are soft, about an additional 40 minutes.
- 6You may add additional water if you like a thinner soup (as we do).
- 7Stir in lemon juice or vinegar; serve a dollop of yogurt with each serving, if desired.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkish Red Lentil Soup (Kirmizi Mercimek Çorbasi)
Serving Size: 1 (462 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.5
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1612.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 18.8 g