I was going nuts looking for the perfect red lentil soup recipe that had just the right spice blend after enjoying it immensely at my favorite local Turkish joint and getting a bit bored with my standby lentil soup recipe. This is based on various Turkish lentil soup recipes with my own flair. It didn't come out exactly like the tasty soup at Turkuaz, but it did come out good enough for me to keep making it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 946.0 ml vegetable broth
- 4.92 ml olive oil (can be left out I like it for the creaminess)
- 236.59 ml red lentil
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml tomato paste (for a richer soup just use a whole 6-oz can)
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 9.85 ml paprika (smoked for extra zing!)
- 2.46 ml sea salt
- 0.25 ml garlic powder (just one shake)
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper (a few shakes)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1Combine everything into a pot, and bring to a boil.
- 2Lower the heat, loosely cover the pot, and let simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils have completely softened.
- 3Let the soup cool for about 5-10 minutes (you can also cheat and just pop the pot in the fridge or freezer for a couple minutes while catching up on work and texting, like I did!).
- 4Pour the soup in a blender to puree it nicely.
- 5After pureeing, I sometimes like to pop in a can of big white beans like great northern beans, navy beans, cannellini, or butterbeans with a little fresh cilantro if I happen to have any on hand. These are found in piyaz, another delicious meze.
- 6Garnish with lemon and/or fresh mint, and serve with some delicious pitas, toasty Turkish bread, or sigara bourek!
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkish Red Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.4
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 370.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 12.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: