Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a satisfying soup with unusual flavours. The bulghur and the rice add a lovely texture to the soup.
- 118.29 ml red lentil
- 59.14 ml bulgur
- 59.14 ml uncooked rice
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 425.24 g can diced tomatoes with juice
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 946.36 ml vegetable stock
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 2.46 ml cayenne
- 14.79 ml dried mint
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml dried mint
- Saute the onion in the olive oil until translucent. Add the garlic and saute one minute more.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the butter and one teaspoon dried mint.
- Bring to boil and lower to simmer. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup slightly or put a cup or two into a blender.
- To serve, melt the butter and add the mint. Drizzle on top of soup.
This was very good. It cooked almost instantly! I think using brown rice that has been cooked ahead would be even better. The mint offered a sweetness in contrast to the cayenne. We all liked it. Made for PAC Fall 2012,