Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a satisfying soup with unusual flavours. The bulghur and the rice add a lovely texture to the soup.
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- 1⁄4 cup bulgur
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- Saute the onion in the olive oil until translucent. Add the garlic and saute one minute more.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the butter and one teaspoon dried mint.
- Bring to boil and lower to simmer. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup slightly or put a cup or two into a blender.
- To serve, melt the butter and add the mint. Drizzle on top of soup.
This was very good. It cooked almost instantly! I think using brown rice that has been cooked ahead would be even better. The mint offered a sweetness in contrast to the cayenne. We all liked it. Made for PAC Fall 2012,