Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
A tasty and different pizza.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups water, lukewarm
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup yogurt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 baby eggplants, chopped in 1/4 -inch dice
- 1 lb medium ground lamb or 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup crushed canned tomato
- coarse salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 2 fresh chili peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- In a small bowl, add 1 1/3 cup lukewarm water and 1 teaspoons sugar.
- Add yeast and let sit until foamy, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Combine 3 ¾ all-purpose flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a dough blade, add olive oil, yogurt and yeast mixture.
- Knead on low speed for about 10 to 12 minutes until the dough comes together and is smooth.
- Turn dough onto a well-floured surface.
- Using the remaining flour continue to knead the dough by hand until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled medium bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rest in a warm spot until doubled, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a medium large sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add the eggplant and season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté eggplant until soft, then transfer to a plate or bowl. Let eggplant cool to room temperature.
- In the same sauté pan, add 1 tablespoons of olive over medium high heat.
- Add lamb and season with sumac and salt and pepper.
- Sauté until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, crushed tomatoes and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, just to cook the tomato paste.
- Let mixture cool to room temperature.
- Combine eggplant with the lamb mixture in a large bowl.
- Add garlic, chiles, parsley and ½ cup of the grated mozzarella. Toss to combine.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Place a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven and heat pizza stone according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Punch down dough. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Using your hands, stretch and pull each piece of dough into about 10 x 12-inch ovals.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a pizza paddle.
- Place an oval of dough onto the pizza paddle.
- Evenly spoon ¼ of the lamb and eggplant mixture over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border.
- Fold over edges of the dough using a twisting action to create a crust.
- Sprinkle ¼ of the remaining grated cheese (about 1/3 cup) on top of the lamb and eggplant mixture.
- Transfer the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone.
- Bake until topping is bubbly and crust is golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cut in strips or wedges.
- Repeat with remaining ovals of dough.