Recipe by Olha
Simple to make and yet tasty. Phyllo leaves layered with walnuts or almonds and a simple sugar lemon syrup.
- 1 lb phyllo pastry (about 24 sheets)
- 16 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 1⁄2 cups walnuts or 2 1⁄2 cups almonds, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Brush a 9 x 12 inch dish with melted butter.
- Fold a sheet of phyllo in half and carefully lay in the pan.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Repeat until there are 6 layers of phyllo.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the nuts on the last layer.
- Add 6 more phyllo leaves, brushing each one with melted butter.
- Add 1/3 more nuts.
- Repeat this procedure until all ingredients are used ending with a pastry layer.
- Brush the top layer with butter and cut into diamond shapes 2 inches wide.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 300°F and continue baking for 30 minutes longer.
- FOR THE SYRUP: Add the sugar to the water.
- Add lemon juice and boil the syrup for 5 minutes.
- Pour over the warm pastry and let cool before serving.
- The World’s Best Recipes.