1 hr 20 mins
Simple to make and yet tasty. Phyllo leaves layered with walnuts or almonds and a simple sugar lemon syrup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb phyllo pastry (about 24 sheets)
- 16 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cups walnuts or 2 1/2 cups almonds, chopped
- 1Brush a 9 x 12 inch dish with melted butter.
- 2Fold a sheet of phyllo in half and carefully lay in the pan.
- 3Brush with melted butter.
- 4Repeat until there are 6 layers of phyllo.
- 5Sprinkle 1/3 of the nuts on the last layer.
- 6Add 6 more phyllo leaves, brushing each one with melted butter.
- 7Add 1/3 more nuts.
- 8Repeat this procedure until all ingredients are used ending with a pastry layer.
- 9Brush the top layer with butter and cut into diamond shapes 2 inches wide.
- 10Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes.
- 11Reduce the heat to 300°F and continue baking for 30 minutes longer.
- 12FOR THE SYRUP: Add the sugar to the water.
- 13Add lemon juice and boil the syrup for 5 minutes.
- 14Pour over the warm pastry and let cool before serving.
- 15The World’s Best Recipes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkish Pastries With Nuts and Syrup (Baclava)
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 806.2
- Calories from Fat 452
- Total Fat 50.2 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 438.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 51.0 g
- Protein 9.8 g