Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is so delicious. With a sauce of garlicky yogurt and cucumber. Traditionally this dish is made with ground lamb but I make it with ground beef. A tweaked version of Pasta With Ground Beef and Yoghurt. Great meal with a salad on the side masha Allah.
- 3 -4 garlic cloves (pretty large size)
- 1 cup balkan yogurt (thick type)
- 1 teaspoon of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- 1⁄4 English cucumber
- sea salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef (I use extra lean and add a lot of good olive oil or it will be too dry)
- baharat mixed spice (Turkish Baharat Spice Mix or Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped of fresh mint (May not be needed, see directions.)
- sea salt, to taste
- 170 g rice pasta (May use regular if not gluten free. I prefer macaroni or farfalle shape in this)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Bring a small amount of salted water to a boil, add garlic with skin on and cook for 7 minutes. Drain, slip from skins and crush with a fork.
- Stir yoghurt with crushed garlic, mint & freshly squeezed lemon juice until smooth, set in refrigerator.
- Grate English cucumber and set in a sieve, sprinkle with sea salt. Let drain 15 minutes.
- Squeeze out liquid from cucumber and mix with yogurt mixture. Add more sea salt and lemon to taste if needed.
- Bring salted water for pasta to a boil.
- Peel onions. Cut and chop in a food processor until a pulp.
- Heat olive oil over medium high, add onions and reduce heat cooking until transparent.
- Add 1 tbs butter, parsley and lean ground beef and cook until no more pink shows, stirring to break apart often.
- Add Baharat, If using Turkish skip the fresh mint or add fresh mint now. Add sea salt to taste. Cook until done.
- While frying the meat, cook pasta as per package directions. Drain and add lots of butter (2 tbs) & the sweet paprika. Mix.
- Add ground beef and mix with pasta or if preferred place pasta on serving dishes and spoon ground beef over top. Serve with Cakik (yogurt sauce) and a fresh salad.
- Enjoy :D.
I should have listened to you and used beef not lamb. The combination of local, very fresh free range lamb and the butter was over the top RICH! I didn't know how much onion to use because it wasn't indicated in the ingredients' list. (I used one medium.) Fresh mint and parsley from our garden. I didn't bother peeling the Persian cucumbers and the combination of richly flavored beef/pasta with the cacik was delicious! I liked the flavor especially of the paprika mixed in with the pasta, too. Reviewed for NA*ME Tag. Come join us in this ongoing tag game!
Wonderful dish! I used to make this with cumin and paprika only but will make it with baharat from now on (I used Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix ). My yoghurt was Greek sheep yoghirt. Served this with grilled eggplant and bell pepper. Thanks for sharing!