Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of Turkeys most served salads...it's delicious!
- 1 medium red onion, peeled halved and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground sumac or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 5 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Set in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to mellow before serving.
I lived in Adana for 2 years and I missed the onion salad (and so many other foods) very much. I actually brought some Sumac back with me because it was in so many common Turkish salads. Thank you So very much for posting this. I ended up tweaking the recipe to my taste; 1/8th tea chili and a pinch of salt. Very nice recipe Many Thanks!
Excellent change of pace. I used the lemon juice and 5 teaspoons of dried parley flakes. I give only 4 stars because of the rather persistent aftertaste, not because of taste of the dish. A nice strong glass of lemon aid took care of the aftertaste. I will make this again. Thanks.