1/4 Photos of Turkish Okra Casserole
1 hr 25 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
A kind of Turkish ratatouille. You can increase or decrease the heat as you choose. Almost a meal in itself, with bread and salad, or a great accompaniment to something grilled. The eggplant skin is generally left on, but if you prefer, peel it. Cooking time does not include defrosting (if you have to use frozen okra).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb okra or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra
- 1 eggplant, about a pound
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium green bell peppers
- 1 large onion
- 3 tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup parsley, fresh, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt, to taste
- 1If using fresh okra, trim away any tough stems.
- 2If frozen okra is used, defrost and drain.
- 3Trim off the ends of the eggplant and cut unpeeled eggplant into one-inch cubes.
- 4Trim the ends of the zucchini and cut into unpeeled zucchini into one-inch cubes.
- 5Using a vegetable peeler, peel away the skin of the bell peppers; halve them and remove cores, veins and seeds.
- 6Cut bell peppers into one-inch pieces.
- 7Peel and dice onion into one-inch pieces.
- 8Peel, core and seed and dice tomatoes into one-inch pieces.
- 9Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- 10Heat the oil in a large, heavy casserole (stove top/oven ware) and add the onion and eggplant cubes.
- 11Cook, stirring often, about five minutes.
- 12Add zucchini, tomatoes and green pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, about two minutes.
- 13Stir in the garlic, pepper flakes, parsley, bay leaf and thyme.
- 14Add the drained okra and salt to taste.
- 15Place in the oven, uncovered, and bake for about one hour.
- 16Remove bay leaf and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkish Okra Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.8
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 21.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 4.1 g