Recipe by Chef Kate
A kind of Turkish ratatouille. You can increase or decrease the heat as you choose. Almost a meal in itself, with bread and salad, or a great accompaniment to something grilled. The eggplant skin is generally left on, but if you prefer, peel it. Cooking time does not include defrosting (if you have to use frozen okra).
- 3⁄4 lb okra or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra
- 1 eggplant, about a pound
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium green bell peppers
- 1 large onion
- 3 tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, fresh, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- If using fresh okra, trim away any tough stems.
- If frozen okra is used, defrost and drain.
- Trim off the ends of the eggplant and cut unpeeled eggplant into one-inch cubes.
- Trim the ends of the zucchini and cut into unpeeled zucchini into one-inch cubes.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel away the skin of the bell peppers; halve them and remove cores, veins and seeds.
- Cut bell peppers into one-inch pieces.
- Peel and dice onion into one-inch pieces.
- Peel, core and seed and dice tomatoes into one-inch pieces.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy casserole (stove top/oven ware) and add the onion and eggplant cubes.
- Cook, stirring often, about five minutes.
- Add zucchini, tomatoes and green pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, about two minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, pepper flakes, parsley, bay leaf and thyme.
- Add the drained okra and salt to taste.
- Place in the oven, uncovered, and bake for about one hour.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.