Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
I found this in today's Toronto Star and I'm posting it for ZWT6. The person who submitted the recipe to the Star says this "is like the nation food" in the region of Kilis. The big difference between this version and the Lebanese version of muhammara is the addition of feta and a complex taste that comes from multiple ingredients. The Toronto Star states that a couple of the harder to find ingredients may be considered optional i.e. the hot paprika mix/pepper cream. Cooking time is refrigeration time. Made for ZWT6
Top Review by threeovens
I loved the complexity and contrast of flavors in this dish. It had sweet, spicy, hot and more! The only deviation I made was I used pomegranate seeds rather than walnuts and juice.
- 5 ounces walnuts (halves or pieces)
- 5 ounces greek feta, rinsed, well crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 teaspoon fresh pomegranate juice (such as POM Wonderful)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika mix pepper cream (i.e. Univer Rotes Gold hot paprika mix or cream from Hungary or Martelli hot pepper cream both of wh) (optional)
- 2 teaspoons minced flame-roasted sweet red peppers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, packed in sunflower oil will do (any Italian jar labelled pepperoncini (minced hot peppers in sunflower oil)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, minced
- 1 green onion, trimmed, finely sliced
- kosher salt, to taste
- pita bread, crusty bread or cracker, for dipping
Directions See How It's Made
- In mortar using pestle, pound walnuts into very small pieces. (Don’t do this in food processor or it will turn to paste.).
- Transfer to large mixing bowl and add feta, bread crumbs, oil, garlic, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, pomegranate juice, tomato paste, hot paprika mix, sweet peppers, oil-packed crushed red peppers, hot sauce, cumin, paprika, chili flakes, oregano, black pepper, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder and sugar.
- Mix very well by hand, squeezing and mixing.
- In small bowl, combine yellow and green onions.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Let stand several minutes.
- Squeeze mixture by hand, discarding liquid.
- Add onions to walnut mixture and mix well by hand.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving to let flavours develop. Serve with pita, bread or crackers. (Keeps several days. If needed, drizzle with olive oil before serving to loosen mixture.).