Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
You can garnish as you desire with chopped tomatoes, olives, cucumbers or feta cheese. If your lemons are large, one will do.
- 2 cups lentils (rinsed)
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 -2 lemon (juiced-to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup parsley (minced)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tomatoes (seeded and diced) (optional)
- 10 -15 black olives (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber (seeded & diced0 (optional)
- Cook lentils over medium heat simmer covered 20-30 minute Do not overcook, drain and rinse with cold water.
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat, add onion and cook until translucent, add garlic & cumin, cook another minute.
- Place lentils in a large bowl, add onions, cumin & stir in lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Garnish with tomatoes, olives, cheese or cucumbers.
This made a grand summer lunch. I cooked the lentils in the morning and than finished it up later. The flavors are marvelous while a little goes a long way in the tummy you just don't want to stop, I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing LOL. Also it makes a lot, I made a single serving and there is half of it left to chill until tomorrow.
This is delicious! I used brown Turkish lentils, extra virgin olive oil, a bit more garlic than called for, lots of freshly squeezed lemon juice, sea salt, cocktail tomatoes, gourmet black olives, goat's milk feta cheese & English cucumber plus the rest. I will make this again!! Made for ZWT6, Sand & Spices - Meatless Meets Middle East Challenge.