From "The Complete Book of Turkish Cooking". The author suggests serving this dish cold with lemon juice.
- Trim leeks and remove a few of the outer layers.
- Slice 3/4" thick, discard tough green leaves.
- Wash leeks well in several changes of water.
- In a heavy skillet, heat olive oil.
- Stir in leeks and carrots.
- Cover and cook very gently (low heat) for 30 minutes, shaking the skillet occasionally.
- Blend in the remaining ingredients in order.
- Cover and simmer for another 30 minutes, checking the liquid and adding more water, if necessary.
- When fully cooked, it should be very moist but not watery.
MUCH better cold, so be sure to allow time for chilling before serving. I lived in Istanbul for a year and ate this regularly - the taste of this recipe is authentic.
My boyfriend went crazy over these.
Really tasty! I like the flavor combination and its a very different way to prepare leeks. A great vegetarian dish.