Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 lbs leeks
- 1⁄3 cup finest virgin olive oil
- 2 small carrots, peeled,halved lengthwise,then sliced 1/2 " thick
- 2 tablespoons uncooked rice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Trim the leeks.
- Remove a few of the outer layers.
- Slice 3/4 inch thich; discard the tough green leaves.
- Wash several times in plenty of water and drain.
- In a heavy pan heat the olive oil.
- Stir in the leeks and carrots.
- Cover and cook 30 minutes over low heat, shaking the pan occasionally.
- Stir in the rice, sugar, salt, juice of 1/2 lemon and water.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until leeks are tender.
- Check the liquid level and add hot water in very small quantities if necessary.
- When cooked it should be very moist but not watery.
- Serve cold sprinkled with lemon juice to taste.
- Like all cold olive oil dishes it is very good with crusty bread.
This is the traditional Turkish recipe. Some cooks put the cooked leeks under the broiler for 10 minutes or so to give them a roasted look.
This is one of my favorite recipes. I saute a finely chopped onion until soft before adding the leek and carrot.
Excellent, I'm not sure what it tastes like cold, because I ate it all before it had time to cool... Great combination!