Prep 40 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a Rick Stein recipe printed in the April 2006 issue of 'Delicious' magazine. Passive cooking time is for maximum marinading time.
- 500 g lean ground lamb
- 1 onion, finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes, to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, to brush
- 4 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 200 g natural Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- 1 large carrot
- 1 turnip
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Soak skewers in cold water for half and hour.
- Add lamb, onion, garlic, chilli and parsley to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix with hands until all is combined.
- Divide into 8 portions and mould into sausage shapes around skewers. Chill for minimum of 30 minutes or overnight.
- For the minted yogurt, mix yogurt with mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- For carrot and cumin salad, peel and shred the carrot and turnip in a food processor. Toss into a bowl with oil, cumin and lemon juice.
- Brush koftas well with oil and lightly oil a griddle or frying pan. Fry koftas in batches over medium heat in a preheated pan about 5 minutes until browned all over and cooked through.
- Layer tomato slices, then salad then koftas onto 4 plates. Serve yogurt along side.